Navigation Menu+

What The Lens Are You Talking About?

Posted in Advice | 0 comments

Hello blog reader(s)!? If you were confused by my last post when I started talking about my lens being listed as AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G VR, then you NEED this post. I have written down all the lens abbreviations I could think of. I hope this helps you understand your own lens a little better and aid you in picking out a lens in the future. Also someone, not naming any names….*cough* NIKKI, said my blog posts are too long and rambling, so I am trying to keep this short.

#mm-#mm – The focal length in millimeters. The higher the number, the further away it can focus and the lower the number the closer it can focus. If there is just one number then you have a fixed focal length lens and can not zoom in or out.

I/II/III – The version of this particular lens ie – version 1, version 2 or version 3

AF-S – Built-in Auto Focusing Silent Wave Motor. Why is that important? Well if your camera has “In-The-Lens” focusing instead of having it built into the camera body then you wont be able to auto-focus with out it.

Chromatic Aberration

APO – The lens has Apochromatic elements designed to produce sharper elements by focusing all the wavelengths of lights to the same point. If you notice some purple/red highlights around the edges of your photos it means that the lens you are using doesn’t have very good control over chromatic aberration.

DC – These are special lenses from Sigma that are designed so that the image circle matches the smaller size of most digital SLR cameras. Their specialized design gives these lenses the ideal properties for digital cameras, including compact and lightweight construction.

DG – This is Sigmas way of letting you know the lens is for digital cameras and compatible with full-framed camera sensors.

Di – Tamrons way of letting you know this lens is just for full-frame sensors.

Di-II – Tamrons way of letting you know this lens is just for APS-C sensors.

DO – Canon lenses that feature a diffractive optical element

DX – Nikons way of letting you know this lens is just for APS-C sensors.

ED – On a Nikon, Olympus and Leica lenses it stands for extra low dispersion elements. Is this good? Yes. Will it cost you? You bet!

EF – This is Canons way of letting you know the lens is for full-framed sensors and also compatible with APS-C sized sensors.

EF-S – Canon lenses that will work with APS-C sized sensors, but not full framed sensors.

EX – from Sigmas “excellent” range of lenses. Kinda boastful.

FE – Canons fisheye range of lenses.

G – Put on Nikon lenses that don’t have a manual aperture ring.

HSM – Found on Sigma lenses that are equipped with a Hypersonic Motor. Same as Nikons AF-S only it sounds cooler to say. Also it’s very quiet and FAST.

IF – Internal focusing lenses. This also means the front element does not rotate when focusing. So if you were using a neutral density filter that was only half covered so you could correctly expose the sky and the ground, you wouldn’t have to readjust it as you focus the lens.

L – Canons “luxury” range of lenses. Once again, boastful.

LD – Tamron lenses with low dispersion glass elements.

MF – Means this lens will ONLY manual focus. Why is this a good thing? Well I guess it cuts down on weight.

OS – Sigma lenses with optical stabilization.

PRO – Tokina lenses from their “professional” range. I don’t find this as boastful.

TS-E – Canons “Tilt and Shift” lenses. They basically allow you to obtain a wide depth of field even at the maximum aperture and still keep the entire subject in focus. Pretty neat. Better than a stupid Lens Baby lens, which is what I used to think they were. Man I hate those things. No offense to Lens Baby users out there. Actually, yes offense, you can get the same effect in Photoshop and you don’t ruin the original picture. For those of you who don’t know what they are, follow THIS link.

UD – Canons range of lenses that have ultra low dispersion elements.

VR – Nikon lenses that are equipped with Vibration Reduction.

USM – Canon lenses that are equipped with an Ultrasonic motor. Yes, It’s the same as a hypersonic motor. I personally think “Hypersonic” sounds cooler. And faster. Like a rocket ship.

Ok, I hope we all learned something from this. Any questions? Class dismissed!

And by the way, that is not a fake picture, THAT mammoth is the Sigma 200-500mm. Pretty crazy huh?  You can find out more about that bad boy by watching this video.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *